Michelle Lopez began baking to cope with the stress of college and eventually launched her blog, Hummingbird High in 2011 Now she’s a two time Saveur Magazine “Best Baking Blog” winner and continues to wow us with the most incredible desserts. And today, we’re so excited to include her in our 5 Things series. So without further ado, here’s 5 Things you might not know about Michelle…
- I moved around a lot throughout my childhood and my 20s. I’ve lived in 4 countries, 5 states, and 8 cities total. Now I’m happy to call Portland, Oregon, home forever — at least, that’s what I say, but who knows if that’ll end up being true. 🙂
- I only have one food allergy: pumpkin seeds. I can eat the rest of the pumpkin just fine though!
- I don’t own a car. I commute everywhere by foot or bicycle, rain or shine! I once even biked from the East Coast to the West Coast (I started in Portland, Maine, and ended up in Vancouver, Canada).
- Before I became a full-time blogger, I worked in tech for 5+ years as an engineer. My new cookbook is all about how I balanced my job and my blog, focusing on dessert recipes you can make quickly on a weeknight!
- My college degree wasn’t food-related, art-related, or even tech-related; I actually majored in economics, and I wrote a thesis that argued that taxing airlines could decrease flight delays.
- I’m a big Harry Potter nerd and according to JK Rowling’s official website, my house is Ravenclaw.
- One of my bucket list items is to cycle the entire length of the Ring Road in Iceland.