February might be the shortest (and coldest!) month of the year, but it’s stuffed full of opportunities for brands, influencers, or anyone looking to create content.
So what’s trending in February? Here’s a list of holidays and topics to help you plan out your editorial calendar for the upcoming month.
- Black History Month: February 1st marks the beginning of Black History Month, a celebration of Black culture that’s been on the calendar for over 50 years. It’s a special time of year to celebrate Black creators, support Black-owned businesses, and highlight the diversity and deliciousness of Black cuisine.
- Lunar New Year: February 1st also marks the start of the Lunar New Year (also called Chinese New Year). This historic holiday is a time to spend with family, exchange gifts and good wishes, reflect on the past year, and of course, enjoy incredible meals made with traditional Asian ingredients.
- Super Bowl Sunday: Football fans have had this date marked since the beginning of pre-season – February 13th is Super Bowl Sunday! Whether you’re watching the game, only tuning in for the ads, or just here for the snacks, this “holiday” is iconic for brands and foodies alike.
- Valentine’s Day: February 14th might be on a Monday this year, but that shouldn’t stop you from celebrating the ones you love this Valentine’s Day. And don’t forget about Galentine’s Day! Take your girls out for a celebratory brunch on February 13th before heading to that Super Bowl party.
- Meal prepping: Meal prepping is all the rage going into February. Specifically, meal prepping with the help of subscription based meal kits. HelloFresh, Mindful Chef, and Daily Harvest are some of the top searched brands according to the Exploding Topics tool.
- Diets: Some people might have given up on their New Year’s resolutions, but the “new year new me” mentality is still going strong among lots of consumers. Keto, Whole30, and vegan diets are all trending as consumers search for new ways to change up their eating habits in hopes of a healthier month ahead.
- Soup: We’re all looking to beat the cold with a warm dinner these days. The search for soup recipes is on the rise, says Pinterest Trends, especially ones that can be made in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
- Plant-based meat: If fast food chains are getting on board, you know a trend is here to stay. Plant-based meat alternatives (like Field Roast and Daring Foods) are rising in popularity, and consumers are looking for inventive ways to incorporate these products into their lifestyles.
- Super Bowl snacks: Chili, wings, and sliders, oh my! We might not know which teams are playing in the Super Bowl just yet, but that doesn’t stop consumers from planning their game day menus. Easy recipes that feed a crowd are at the top of football fan’s search bars as the big game draws closer.