Everyone is after that coveted blue checkmark, but how do you actually get one? We got the inside scoop from IG HQ on how to get verified on Instagram. Spoiler alert, it’s a waiting game.
What is a verified badge?
A verified badge is a blue checkmark that appears next to an Instagram account’s name in search and on the profile. It basically means that Instagram has confirmed that the account is real, authentic, and notable.
Are there any specific requirements needed to apply for a verified badge?
Okay, so how do I get a verified badge?
- Log in to Instagram.*
- Tap your profile picture in the bottom right corner to go to your profile.
- Tap the three bars in the top right corner, then tap “Settings”.
- Tap on “Account”, then scroll until you see “Request Verification”.
- Fill out the form by following the on screen instructions.
*Make sure your username is what you’d like it to be before you apply for a verified badge! Once verified, you may not change the username on your account.
What happens after I apply for a verified badge?
According to their website, it will take up to 30 days for IG to review your request. However, our inside source says it can take up to a full year for your application to be reviewed. You’ll receive a notification in your Activity tab (the heart in the top right corner) letting you know if your account has been verified or not.
Tips for getting verified:
- Add links! A rep at IG said that most accounts are denied verification because they did not submit enough press. The links section on the application is optional, however, you will likely get approved faster if you provide a sufficient amount of news articles, social media mentions, and other links that show your account is in the public interest. Keep in mind that paid or promotional content does not count.
- Apply when your name is hot. Piggybacking off our previous tip, apply for that checkmark when you know there is a lot of positive public press about your brand. Capitalize on any recent attention by applying for verification while your name is highly searchable.
- Be patient. Re-applying for a verified badge before receiving a decision will cancel your application. If you get denied, you can submit a new request in 30 days.
- Keep your account public. A public account is not only necessary to apply for verification, but it’s necessary to stay verified.
- Stay active. What’s the point of verification if you’re not active on Instagram? When IG gets around to reviewing your application, they will be looking for consistent activity, so make sure to post often.
- Don’t spend money. This probably goes without saying, but buying followers, likes, and views is a big no-no. Same goes for paying someone who claims they can verify your account. The only way to get verified is to apply through the official form.