Cue the yearly “It’s Gonna Be May” JT memes because this year is flying by! Between grad parties, Mother’s Day celebrations, and Memorial Day barbecues, May marks the unofficial but much anticipated start of summer. As we transition into the warmer months, the conversation across the social landscape will turn to backyard parties, road trips (and snacks!), beach days, burgers on the grill, and summer foods. Let your consumers and audience know where your brand and content fits in with the topics gaining traction this month, and you’ll be ahead of the game.
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month – May marks the start of AAPI Heritage Month, an annual celebration that recognizes the historical and cultural contributions of individuals and groups of Asian and Pacific Islander descent to the United States. Curious how to celebrate? Support Asian-owned businesses, eat at local Asian-owned restaurants, or have a potluck featuring authentic recipes from your favorite Asian food blogger.
- Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) – Cinco de Mayo, a day dedicated to embracing Mexican-American culture, is celebrated every year on May 5th with lots of good food, festive music, and plenty of fun cocktails. This holiday is the perfect opportunity for brands with Mexican roots to partner with influencers who share a love of Mexican cuisine to cook up some delicious (and spicy!) content.
- Mother’s Day (May 8th) – Don’t forget to call your mom because May 8th is Mother’s Day! Your audience and consumers will be celebrating their moms and grandmothers in all kinds of ways, from breakfast in bed to a festive family brunch. They’ll also be shopping for flowers, chocolates, bottles of bubbly and more!
- Memorial Day (May 30th) – Did someone say three-day weekend? Whether you’re planning content around family cookouts, road trips or beach picnics, the much-anticipated holiday will be a hot topic on everyone’s socials. Get creative with all the ways your product can make the celebrations special.
- Summer – Spring might have just arrived, but summer is already on everyone’s mind! Start firing up the grill because searches for “BBQ recipes”, “outdoor entertaining”, and “beach snacks” are on the rise and expected to pick up even more traction as we head into the warmest months of the year.
- Graduation – May marks graduation season for schools all over the country and consumers are already in planning party mode for their soon-to-be grads! Finger foods, festive recipes, and gift ideas for both students and teachers are all popular searches according to Pinterest Trends.
- Easy Lunch Box Ideas – Let’s be honest, eating deli meat and white bread for lunch every day can get really boring really fast. Consumers are looking for easy, unique, and delicious lunch box ideas to round out the school year (or take on a road trip this summer!). Brands like Jack and Annie’s, MadeGood, and Wilde Chips are consumer favorites according to the Exploding Topics tool.
- Asian Flavors – Since May is AAPI Heritage month, so it’s no surprise that Asian foods and flavors are going to be a big hit. Miso, ube, and chili oil are among consumer’s favorite ingredients this season. Brands such as Omsom, Fly by Jing, and Copper Cow are rising in popularity due to their products that make authentic Asian flavors more accessible for all.