Everyone knows that social media algorithms are constantly changing, and Facebook and Instagram are no exception. That said, these platforms are trying to be more transparent about how content is ranked, shown, and moderated. Check out the official statements on “How Instagram Works” and “How Facebook Works”.
There are many resources out there with tips and tricks on how to go viral, but when it comes to building a loyal audience and a cohesive brand, CARE-ing is key!
1. Be Consistent
It’s no secret that posting often is the best way to stay relevant on social media. Meta recommends aiming for “at least one story (4-7 slides) every day, 4 Feed posts per week, 3 Reels per week, and 1-2 longer episodic videos per week at a planned cadence.” The best time to post varies depending on your audience demographics, but generally, mid-morning weekdays seem to be the sweet spot.
2. Be Authentic
Our number one tip for growing authentically? Be authentic. Write your captions in first person, show your face often, share life changes and milestones, and showcase your personality. Make your audience feel like they are an important part of your life (because they are!).
3. Be Relevant
At the root of it, social media is all about connections and conversation. Join in on conversations that people are having, or start your own about topics that are important to you. Don’t be afraid to weigh in on current events. Re-share articles and posts, participate in trends, and stay up to date with what’s happening in the world outside of your own bubble.
4. Be Engaging
Engaging with your audience is a huge part of growth. People want to see that there is a real person behind that highly curated feed. Responding to your comments encourages other people to comment, and more comments equals more distribution. Commenting on content from other accounts can also lead to follower growth.
- Crosspost your Instagram content to Facebook. The audience overlap across FB and IG is usually pretty small for notable accounts, so don’t worry about posting the same content on both places because you are hitting different audiences.
- Share user generated content. Did somebody cook your recipe and post about it? Share it on your story! Featuring content you are tagged in is a great way to grow your account.
- Wanna know how to get more story views? Leverage the interactive features that IG provides. Do an informal Q&A, encourage engagement by posting polls, or utilize fun stickers.
- Limit the number of hashtags to 3-6 per post.
- Posting relatively short, high-quality reels using trending audio is a sure-fire way to grow quickly. Keep in mind that Meta is downranking reels with watermarks though!
- Repost content that performed well in the past. Not everything on your feed needs to be brand new all the time.
A smart, engaging feed with content your followers value is the first step to getting brands’ attention. Check out our blog post on How to Attract Brands as an Influencer for more tips!